Subject: VW History
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:30:49 -0700
From: "Wayne R. Waters" <>
To: "Wes Mortensen" <>

Hi Wes,

No I don't mind anyone calling me Wayne, that's my name. I had to go take a
look at the VP pages to see what had changed since the last time I looked at
it. In the V W section I saw your tracks. I was pretty sure that was where
you had found me.

When I sent in my bio I thought I'd send the whole works and let the page
owner take whatever he wanted and he printed the whole thing. Boy, that
page has certainly changed.

First, I wasn't XO of the Barrier Squadron during my whole tour. I believe
I took over the XO slot late in 1962 or early 1963. I did very little
flying after assuming that position. I started flying the Barrier late in
1959 as co-pilot and on my own as plane commander in mid 1060, I then flew
on a regular rotation to Midway until I took over as XO.

I'll have to rummage through whatever remains of things I have saved to see
if there is anything worthwhile.

During my tour there was a change of CO's. I'll look at my papers and see
if I can dredge up their names.

I was at Midway when #34 had its problem. I was sleeping after a flight and
woke up and heard the notice on the radio that personnel were being
requested to report to the hospital for some reason. (They were getting
ready for blood doners). I finally found out that there was a problem with
one of the aircraft and went down to the hangar and got the story. I was
standing just a short distance from the runway when #34 landed. It was
quite uneventful. Just skidded along on the radome (on the cross runway).
It was almost humorous as some of the crew were out of the airplane running
before the plane stopped. As I recall no one even got a scratch.

As to #16, I just cannot recall anything about that although I surely was
around there somewhere. You'll have to give me a push on that. I never had
any major problems on the Barrier or otherwise; only a few irritating

As for Official information, I really don't have any. As you know when I
was flying the Barrier, I only had about ten days back at Barbers Point out
of each thirty days. If this included a weekend it was a little more than a
week. During most of that time I was Admin Officer pushing paper and making
a few training flights. Most of the dirty day-to-day dirty work was done by
non-flying officers. By the time I got to the VW squadrons I'd had my fill
of courts martials, investigations, etc. I also was happy to be able to fly
an airplane that was made with some consideration for the people that had to
operate it. If all you flew in was WV's , you had it made. One of my
junior co-pilots was helicopter trained, all he did was complain about the
WV. I thought it was a flying hotel compared to other aircraft I had experienced.



Subject: RE: letter...
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:01:40 +0200


I just left a message for my dad about your letter. I've got a lot of
great memories of the "Connie". I can remember the crowd that would
show up on the flightline when my dad would come back from Key West
after flying around Cuba for a few months while we were stationed in
Rota. The crowd was there to pick up all the goodies that crew members
had picked up for various people while stateside, and also to welcome
back loved ones of course. Quite a few bicycles came off of those
flights (one for my younger brother once).

THANK YOU for your web page. The EC-121 always stirs a lot of memories
for me as I spent the first five years of my life in Atsugi (VQ-1) and
the second 5 years in Rota (VQ-2). Thanks again for all your work, I'm
very appreciative!

                                                                             Best regards,

                                                                                      Phil Laney
Subject:  VQ-2
   Date:   Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:08:04 -0400

Wes, did you get any VQ-2 patch jpeg files or pictures from any of the
VQ-2 boys that Ken Franks gave you ?

Drop me a line if you have not received much and I'll try to feed some
stuff your way. I would have expected that Ken sent you plenty. But if
not let me know.

I browsed the Willy Victor Home Page stuff, not much there about the
VQ-1 or VQ-2 Squadrons. I was in Rota from January 1964 to January 1966.
Flew many Willy flights and Chain Gates. Chain gates were 25-30 day
trips around the Med and Black sea. It was a mind game back then. I was
an ATR3 and operated ECM equipment. I also flew the EA3B (Air Force
B-66) that usually took us onto the aircraft carriers when they came
into the Med. That was some experience too!

More later, Keep up the good work with the WV Home Page!


Subject:    Willie Victors
   Date:     Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:35:47 EDT


Back to the Barrier Sqdn.  You have many more flight hours than I!  Hope you
saved all that flight pay and put it to good use later!  As I say I ended up
in charge of Tech Training at Bldg 109 and had a very fine group of
instructors.  I believe we had 8 enlisted men plus two Lockheed reps.  One was
an AT2 named Clyde Schnars,  who is on your list.  We have kept in touch all
these years;  he had a career with IBM and both his kids are physicians.  He
lives at Roswell (Atlanta) GA.  Also kept in touch with Chief Tom Caraway,
who made E8 and became Leading Chief of the sqdn. Retired in TX but does not
have computer.

I can remember one day when I happened to be Asst Duty Officer and that was
the day a plane (#16 as I recall) had undershot the runway during a night
landing at Midway,  killing some of the crew plus several on the ground.  The
phone was ringing constantly with people begging me for information but none
could be given out until families were contacted.  (One family was on a
vacation trip and couldn't be located for hours.)

Meanwhile little kids were running around Capehart housing at Ewa,  crying "My
daddy was killed!"  A very bad day.  But for the really huge operation losing
only one aircraft was a pretty good record.

In the early days two destroyer escorts were on station on the flight path
(what rotten duty that must have been for their crews)  but were finally
withdrawn when it was decided the chance of rescue from a ditching in those
latitudes was unlikely.  Wes,  you're doing a great job with the WV Page.
Keep in touch!

Computer truths: You can't teach an old mouse new clicks==Ted

Subject:  Re: The "Willy Victor" Page...
     Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:17:13 -0500
     From: "Monte Clark" <>
Reply-To: <>

Wes; I received a e-mail from you about the willie victor page, but there
was nothing in the text.  I served as an aircrewman in AEWBARRONPAC from
July 60 until Aug 61 (I think). I was an ACT3 (scope dope) I forget my crew
number, but I was on the Willie that crashed on landing Jan 61. We hit the
crash truck after a rough landing. Several good sailors perished that
night, and it is imbedded in my memory. It is odd that I can recall nearly
all of the enlisted crew, but can't recall the crew number. I left BarPac
to attend AT "A" school, and finished up my career in the VP community as
an AXCS. I do recall the good times at Midway, and BBP. Hope the WV
community has a reunion some time soon.  Good to hear of old shipmates. I
am sorry to say that I don't recall you, but I probably did know you, or
know of you.

                                                                         Monte Clark

Subject:  Re: The "Willy Victor" Page...
   Date:   Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:45:41 EDT


I knew Joe Green, he was a Montana boy. I often tella story about him in an
all glass telephone booth in Alaska, with a lady <smile>.

I was called "Soupie" and I was first engineer for Lt. Robert J. Marrs.
Actually, I was one of the very few non-life'ers who was allowed to be a
flight engineer.

Our first radio was Gary Amy of Washington State; I'll have to think about
names of our CIC guys. I knew our sister crew better, as I "ran" with them
during off time; Jerry Ham of Kansas, Chuck Haag of Kansas, John French of
Arizona, and WK Ewing of Texas; I lived with all of those guys in Waikiki. I
guess you could say I was not the "standard" flight engineer. I was Aircrewman
(AC) at flight engineer, radio, and plotter.

Eventually, I got a ham call (KD6DY) and became a commerical pilot. I own a
Beechcraft Baron (twin), which I use for business and I am a very active
I was a member of our county airport land use commission for seven years,
however I resigned when I was elected to public office here in California; I
am still serving in public office.

I have a1049  type rating and a flight engineers certificate, and I fly a 649
out of Tucson; itt is currently on a world tour. I think I am one of five
active Connie flight engineers, today.

I have lots of Connie stuff, however most of what I had I personally took to
Midway last March, for a show place that is being established there.

If I can help, please let me know.

                                                                        Joe "Soupie" Campbell
                                                                        Clayton, California

Subject:  Thanks
   Date:   Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:46:12 -0700
   From:  Scott Saxon <>

Thanks Wes,

What you're doing is appreciated.  I build and fly radio controlled
model airplanes, and have wanted to build a ten to twelve foot wingspan
flying model of the Willy Victors I flew on while attached to VW-1 in 67
and 68 as an AX3.  My first wife tossed all my pictures just around the time of
the divorce.  Hmm, wonder why?  Anyway, I've been looking for pictures
more or less ever since.  Would you have access to any?

Whether or not you do, I want to thank you again for managing this
resource, I know it's a tremendous effort.

                                                                    Scott Saxon

Subject:  Re: The "Willy Victor" Page...
   Date:   Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:55:25 EDT

Thanks for the website info. It is very enlightening. I was in VXN-8 at
Patuxent River from February 1968 until September 1971. I was supposed to
become the Airframes Supervisor, but found myself in Material Control. The
Maintenance Chief, AFCM Gallagher succumbed to a heart attack on a Sunday and
I was appointed Maintenance Chief and held that position for over a year and
then became the Quality Assurance Supervisor. I held that position until I
left the squadron.


John P. "Jack" O'Brien, AMCS USN Retired


E—Mail like this makes it worth it & one feel good.


Subject: Photos
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 02:04:39 -0500
From: “E.C., Sr.” <>
To: Wes Mortensen <>


I would be honored to share my slides with you and others interested.
Click on the button below for my “complete” address.

It is interesting to note that the pictures I’ve seen on the ‘net are
silver and white in color. The color that I am familiar with is dark,
dull blue. I still remember the smell of the exhaust emissions from
those 3350’s.

How long did you stay with WV’s? Midway was my only Navy tour but while
stationed at Point Mugu, CA I was lucky to land a job with Dynaeiectron
Corp., maintaining WV’s used to monitor the Pacific Missile Range. How
about that? An enlisted being paid by a civilian contractor to maintain
Navy aircraft. They paid me more working 31 hours a week than the Navy
did working 40+ hours and standing watches.

                                                                           Enjoy your day

Subject: Re: a/c 34 )
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 02:33:15 -0500
From: “E.C., Sr.” <

I went through CGRS school at Barber’s Point in Jan, 1960 and reported to Midway
in February. You’re right about the tail. I can’t remember if the landing gear
damaged the tail on takeoff or landing. It was a mess, though. After it was
hauled off of the runway, it became a “parts locker."  In those days, I was an
AE2—P2. Because of the P2, the powers to be placed me in charge of aux power.

When 34 went in and the decision was finally made to make it flyable again, I was
offered a place on its Litchfield crew. After being cannibalized for several
months, you can imagine the material mess that it was in. As soon as I
“comshawed” a part and installed it, the part would disappear. Finally, a prime
directive was issued that nobody not involved in its repair could go near the

As far as pictures go, I don’t think that I have any. Most of my 11 months and 2
days on the rock were captured on slides. Will that help? If you still remember
the layout of the island, picture yourself coming from downtown, pass the big
field, with the hanger on the right and the storage tanks on the right. One of my
slides show a WV parked next to the tanks and a double rainbow ringing the bird
like a halo. This is my prize photo! I would be more than willing to share those
precious moments of my youth with someone who can appreciate them.

                                                                   AEWBARRONPAC, MIDWAY DET

Subject: re:  “Video” project...
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 98 12:47:44 PST8

Mr. Wes Mortensen,

Sounds like we’re working on similar, though definitely different (VIDEO
vs. BOOK), projects! I’m writing a book that follows each one of the 144
USN WV2/EC—121 and R7V/C—121 aircraft from its “birth’ at Lockheed, through
the various squadrons (and there were many) , to the “end” (crash, accident,
salvage and/or scrap) . I’m finding out the hard way that USM records are
very, VERY difficult to obtain; almost all are now only available on
microfiche reels at $20 each!  You pay for the WHOLE reel just to get ONE
document!  Also, the records are NOT very accurate.

Do you have a copy of Steve Ginter’s book, “Lockheed C-121 Constellation,”
Naval Fighters No.8, 1983?  He might be able to steer you to the MANY
sources of photographs that exist.. .beyond the obvious USN. You can contact
him the E-mail address:, or by snail—mail:

Mr. Steven J. Ginter
1754 Warfield Court
Simi Valley, CA 93063-4239
(805) 584-9732

He knows WHERE the pictures can be found...

I am definitely interested in your WV—Video project; please keep me
advised. Maybe I can help or riot?

In addition to my book (above) , I have another “pet” project that YOU might
also be interested in: A “Screen Saver” collection of WV and R7V images on
a CD! It probably won’t make anybody rich, but I’ll sure bet that just
about EVERY ex—’Connie flyer with a computer would want one! I’ll bet.
they’d sell like proverbial “hot—cakes” at the up-coming AEW Reunion
planned for later this year! All that’s needed is a good scanner, a
CD-recorder, and lots & LOTS of pictures,  which is exactly what YOU are
doing now!  The only difference is the final FORMAT and end USE. Heck, even
the CD—”labelling” can now be done at home.

Hoping to hear more from you .......

Earles L. Mc Caul
ex-USN, AT1/AC

Subject: Reply
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:24:5 1 -0600
From: “G. D. Payne” <>

Hi Wes,
Glad you replied.Yes I was one of the Navy’s forgotten ones. Was an AT2 on
a crew. Can’t remember the crew number but flew with Ltcdr. Reese. My last
deployment was the day they went in... Number 16. We were held up until they
brought us an investigation crew to take with us. It was a sad day and a
hell of a sight when we arrived. Needless to say we had to taxi right by
it.Lost 2 good friends and others. Personally knew CIC Lt. Ed Mills and ACW
Jerry (or Jim) Khoen.
He was from small town close to here called Brenham. At end of that one I
was discharged. If you don’t know Luke, e-mail him. He was there in the
inflight mess when they went in. They had aborted and were in early. His
e-mail is <>. .Don’t know if you are familiar but he has
started a damm nice home page. .Go to "The Lid's Lair" and take
a look at it.
More guys are coming out of the woodwork now and I really believe we can
get something going. If you know of anyone spread the word.
I inquired of the VFW and they sent me a name to contact.It is R.N. Smith,
Foxwood #234, 4500 NW Blitchton Rd., Ocala, Fl, 34432, (904)351—8477. Don’t
know what his horsepower is but he must have been one of us.
FYI — got word from one of your contacts (elmccaul) that one of the guys
that survived the crash now lives close to me in Houston. His name is Roger
Halvorson. When I got his number I called him for a very brief chat. I
wanted him to have time to adjust to a cal] out of the blue.Will talk to
him again soon and see if he is on net, etc.
I was in VW-14 until they rolled it over into AEWBARRONPAC. Was there from
August 58 until March 6l.Started out on ECM, then radar, then Chief Acosta
sneaked around and found out I was a ham. I had kept my mouth shut and it
wasn’t in my service record as I knew they wanted “volunteers”.He found out
somehow, never told me how, and in December 58 I went out as second
radioman. Must admit, he did me real favor as I think it the was best job in
the squadron. Anyhow really glad to know you and look forward to more
contacts. We got to get a roster together but I can’t do it do to my
travels. I am getting ready to go overseas. 1 more year of that
crap.Looking forward to a job at home depot or somthing like that.Gotta go
now but stay in touch. .Best regards.

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:08:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Dave / Ruth Casner <>

Dear Earles,

My tour of duty started with VW—13, after transferring from AC School in
Olathe, Kansas. We were called ACW’s then. I kept a fairly accurate
flight log, so I may be able to help you with some BUNOS.
Our first barrier flights were a North and South shuttle, the north was
closer to Europe and the South closer to the U.S. We had aircraft on each
shuttle 24 hours per day. My Log indicates the first flight I had out of
Argentia on Oct., 19, 1956, Block Out at 1000, Block in at 0130, total
flight time 15 1/2 hours.
It appears to me we went to the Race Track Barrier in Nov. of 1956.

Aircraft Numbers I have listed are:
141298 141313 141316 141301
141311 141312 141300 141295
141309 141315 141294 141320
141287 141307 141303 141292
I was with VW-13 when it de-commissioned then transferred to VW-11. I was
also with VW-15. I tried them all. My last flight was back to Patuxet
River, Nov. 30th, 1958, on AC 141301. This was VW-13.
As far as I remember, all the VW squadrons’ home base was Pax River. We
only stayed in Argentia 3 to 4 months.
Now I can tell you that A/C#141294 crashed short of the runway in Argentia.
My good friend, Vince Macy, AT1, was on board. He got out. Another
friend, J.E. Strange was flight engineer, he didn't make it. CDR Kiassy
was also killed.
VW-15 lost an aircraft in 1957, I believe down by the Azores. I helped on S
& R on that one. We never found a trace. I don't remember the A/C number.
A/C*141311 is located at Chanute in Rantoul, IL. It is owned by the
Australian A.F.  According to the Museum Curator, they are going to rework
it and fly it back to Australia. I drove over to see it. The paint is
silver, not the dull black I was used to. Pigeons flew out of the wheel
wells. It now has Air Force markings, not Navy, but the tail number is
still 141311.
As I look at my old Flight Log, my memories go back to those cold weather
flights and impossible conditions. Had several flights with 60-65 knots of
cross wind on take off. Turbulence and icing were normal almost every
flight. These modern day boys with their jets should have had a dose or two
of those early Barrier Flights, when you couldn't change altitude due to
Hope this helps you some. I will be interested in your book.

Best Wishes,
Dave Casner

Subject: 0430 Sunday Morning
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:09:19 -0500
From: (Samuel E. Leach)
CC: Larry Rush <>


As I lay awake at 0430 this past Sunday morning.., the images from your
video played through my head, mixed with memories my own.. .freshly jarred
from wherever the little details hide after a lot of time had gone by

And in the dark it was clear to me how very alike our experiences had
been.. .half a world different. . .but the same.. .to the very last Gooney (all
of us).

Not since my thirty second birthday had it struck me so that time moves us
down the line.., and that those happy young faces have experienced the
better part of a lifetime now God! We were a great bunch., it was a
great time...I’m so glad to have been there!.

Thank you shipmate!

Sam Leach
of VW—11 Radio... .and many other places but still and always a Willy
Victor Sailor

Now Carry out the Plan of the Day!

Subject: Re: A hardy thanks....
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:26:13 -0500
From: (Samuel E. Leach)
CC: Larry Rush <>


I have enough pictures and slides to do a fairly good video of the North
Atlantic Barrier (then and now) . Any interest in such a project?

I will try to get a copy of a tape I made for a Newfoundland friend a
couple years ago. Most unprofessional, but I narrated a good number of
slides.. .mostly in response to his interest in the history of the Argentia
base. At present he has the only copy.. .but you should have one in your

Will look at your web site soon!

Your great tape brought a flood of memories. Refreshed by that “recent”
look your shipmates (and indirectly at my own) . I have been back to
Argentia many times since my tour there. At first as a civilian flight
crew member for the Naval Air Test Center, then as a tourist. The best
trip was in 1985 when Larry Rush and myself flew my old Cessna 172 (NS1P4U)
back to Newfoundland and landed at Argentia (then closed and abandoned by
the USN)...Approximately 1700 local 19 August ‘85.

We taxied to the VW-11 line and as we approached the hangar you could see
the sky through the open hangar doors the wind had peeled away the
roof. The hangar deck was strewn with debris. We walked over shards of
broken glass and puddles of water to the radio shop, the duty office and
the rest of the hangar. And then launched to circle overhead. . . and head
off to St Johns (great liberty then and now)

“Those were the days my friend”.., and as the song goes on to say “we
thought they'd never end”

Roger plan of the day in effect TFN...Barracks 106 is all secure.


Subject: Re: North Atlantic barrier...
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 07:05:33 -0500
From: (Samuel B. Leach)
CC: Larry Rush <>


Re Pictures and possible other material: Let me get my stuff together.
Called my friend in NF the other night and he was out (probably drinking)
Trying to get a copy of a tape I already made (as previously mentioned)
My material is available, along with barrier orders, etc. I’ll have to

Thirty five years ago today (2/20/63) , I flew from Mccuire AFB in NJ to
Argentia (on a MATS C-54) . I had a seat next to the wife of an ADR2 in one
of the “‘VW” squadrons (eleven or thirteen) ... a couple years subsequent, I
think her husband transported letters between me and my girlfriend [a
chief's daughter] during my deployments to Iceland). Our flight arrived at
Argentia at about 1400 local. When I stepped outside the airplane, I was
quick to take note that this was quite unlike anyplace I’d ever been
before. The wind was blowing from the south west at no less than 20 or
25Kts. . . .there was snow blowing everywhere. Argentia harbor was full of
white caps and looked gray through the intervening quarter mile of near
horizontal snowfall. The hills beyond were gray with an olive green hue
contributed by what little bit of the pine stuck out from under the ice and
snow. The guy in front of me lost his white hat and it was blown across
the ramp with him chasing it at full gallop. The Air Terminal “ATO” was an
absolutely no frills Quonset hut affair. We were met by the squadron's
duty vehicle (an old gray panel truck) and driven to the “Miami” hangar
(the mental video of this short ride and my trip through the squadron's
personnel office is crystal clear) . 35 Years ago tomorrow, I rode the base
busses essentially all day. . . check in sheet in hand (medical, dental, USNS
duty office, post office, etc. I think even special services) . Every year
on this date, I have to think about the “transient cube” in Barracks 108
and my first trip to Argentia’s chow hall.  All of this happened on a
Monday. George Washington's Birthday was celebrated on the following
Wednesday (2/22),  so I had the day off.  I walked to Freshwater (The first
little town outside the gate) in my dress blues and pea coat. It was the
bluest sky I’d ever seen and between the rocks and frozen ponds, snow
covered pine trees everywhere.. .starkly beautiful!  I had ask for these
orders on my ‘dream Sheet” and at that point, I was thoroughly happy with
every detail of the place. I visited Murphy's General Store, bummed a
ride to Dunville and visited with the local Baptist minister and his wife
until almost 9 PM. When we had finished, he drove me back to the base and
dropped me in front of the barracks (The minister, Dan Dryer, would marry
my first wife and me two years later on the fourteenth of February, 1965)
By the following Monday, I’d moved to the chief's quarters for a few weeks
of compartment cleaning and ham radio (I worked 2000 stations my first
month in the chief’s quarters) It was a humble job, but a time that I
thoroughly enjoyed it and that I will never forget.

What was your rate? What do you do here in the “after life”?
And... for now, stand a tight watch more to follow...

Subject: Re: Video tape...GREAT!!!!!!
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:44:11
From: Larry Rush <>

I received THE TAPE yesterday, and I sat down with a cup of coffee this
morning by myself to watch it. Good thing I was by myself the first time!
If a former AEW crewman from either AEWBARRONPAC or AEWBARRONLANT can look
at this with dry eyes he is one H——— of a man in my book. Maybe I'm getting
soft in my old age, but I found it very moving, and even though I flew the
North Atlantic Barriers, it brought back a lot of great memories. THANKS A
Now I'm motivated to get my old pictures out and ship them to you to see if
you can use any of them in a Argentia/Keflavik” picture story tape. I am
afraid they will not be as good as your pictures, because I was not a very
good photographer at that time in my life. They are mostly black and white
Wes, I must say that I feel this tape is very professionally done and will
be well received by all former AEW “Willie Victor” guys. You will have one
problem, producing enough tapes! This should be on the TV History Channel
with a sales offer, especially if you get the Atlantic tape added to this.
One question, could you put captions at the bottom of the pics? I think
that would be a nice touch maybe. If it didn't detract from the picture
story. I believe the sound track is perfect. The 8mm at the end really tops
it off too.

You deserve a “Hardy well done Sailor!”
Thanks again Wes,

DE “LT” (Ex—AT2, VW-11)

         Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:44:29 -0600
         "Jack Peters" <>

Just finished reading some of the mail on VW history and thought you might like to hear some earlier bits. I
graduated from ACW "A" school in Brunswick, Georgia in June 1956. From there went directly to VW-1 in
Agana, Guam. Our mission at that time was flying support for the 7th fleet and times were always exciting
because of the number of air and sea contacts on the screen. I flew with Crew 7 on #131390 (a WV-1) and
then on #143228. Our call sign was Red Devil and he was painted just underneath the plane commanders
window. For whatever reason the call sign was changed to Rainproof, not nearly so romantic in our eyes!
Our squadron and our sister squadron, VW-3 were each comprised of 10 planes and although our home
base was NAS Agana, we flew almost all of our operational missions from NAS Atsugi Japan, NAF Naha
Okinawa ans NAS Cubi Point in the P.I. Life was good! We did on one flight, when returning from a
WESTPAC deployment, fly into the eye of a typhoon. That, as far as I know, was a first for VW-1.
I was transferred at the end of my tour to VW-12 at Barbers Point and flew 63 barrier flights, missed one due
to a bird strike. I don't remember my crew # but we did have one bit of excitement on a barrier flight when our
#3 engine exploded and took a piece of the number 4 prop with it. We hadn't reached the point of no return to
Adak so we went back to Midway. At least one plane was pulled off the Barrier to escort us back. Other than
that there was no excitement, the pilot made a good landing and everyone went to the club for a beer!
Thanks for your dedication to all of the VW sailors out here, we really appreciate your efforts!



From: John Sloan <>
Date: February 6, 2011 2:25:18 PM CST
Subject: Fwd: Thanks for signing the roster!


I was in VW-11 Crew 11 from Jan '64 to May '65. I am attaching an article I have saved for quite a few years.

Hope it adds to the history data base.went to the club for a beer!


Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bravenet Member Services" <>
Date: February 6, 2011 3:13:48 PM EST
Subj: Thanks for sigining the roster!

Forward this e-mail to me with your name, squadron and e-mail address
if you are a former crew member.  You will be added to the data base.

The "Willy Victor" Page will keep growing. Thanks for stopping by!

                                                             Wes Mortensen
                                                             Web Master of the "Willy Victor Page"

 [Editors Note: See article "What's the Atlantic Barrier?" on main menu
     and go to the end of the article to read "North Atlantic Barrier Ends"]




Return to:

Home Page

Table Of Contents